Have you heard of leaky gut syndrome? This gastrointestinal condition can cause many uncomfortable symptoms, including indigestion, gas, bloating, and diarrhea. Unfortunately, leaky gut syndrome is often under or misdiagnosed, leaving people with persistent digestive pain.
At Mind Body Spirit Care, we’re well-versed in the signs of a leaky gut and provide expert recommendations to alleviate it. Below, we’ve outlined our top suggestions for naturally healing leaky gut.
What is Leaky Gut Syndrome?
Leaky gut syndrome occurs as a result of intestinal permeability. The gut is naturally semi-permeable so that its mucous lining can absorb water and nutrients from the bloodstream. However, in people with a leaky gut, it allows larger, potentially harmful molecules through. This can trigger inflammation and gastrointestinal symptoms.
Naturally Healing Leaky Gut
To naturally heal a leaky gut, it’s important to take extra care with your diet and nutrition.
- Nutrients: Working to achieve a balanced diet that delivers optimal levels of vitamins and minerals can support your gut lining. Vitamin D and L-glutamine, in particular, have been found to benefit leaky gut syndrome.
- Probiotics: Probiotics promote a healthy gut lining by promoting a healthy gut microbiome. This helps prevent an overgrowth of “bad” bacteria in the gut, which can contribute to a leaky gut.
- Prebiotics: Prebiotics act as nourishment for the “good” bacteria in your gut, which may help you maintain a balanced gut microbiome. Prebiotics are naturally found in many plant fibers.
- Limit fats, sugars, and alcohol: Fats, sugars, and alcohol can all contribute to inflammation in the gut, making them detrimental to individuals with leaky gut syndrome.
- Low FODMAP diet: A low FODMAP (fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols) diet is known to be beneficial for people with gastrointestinal disorders like IBS. This diet decreases gas production, which may alleviate leaky gut syndrome.
For a comprehensive evaluation and individualized treatment plan for your gastrointestinal symptoms, schedule an appointment at Mind Body Spirit Care today!